Wednesday, January 4, 2017

WWC100 - Celebration Time!

http://watercoolerchallenges.blogspot.ca/
Welcome back to a new year of Watercooler Wednesday! I hope everyone had a great holiday season - whichever holiday you celebrate.

This week we are celebrating our 100th Challenge and the Watercooler Artists have gone all out, as the theme is "Anything Goes".
My card features a beautiful stamp set from the 2017 Occasions Catalogue - Dragonfly Dreams -  and the timing is perfect as, starting today, you can order it. It is available as part of a bundle with coordinating thinlits for even more creative options.
I love purple but don't seem to use it a lot when it comes to cardmaking. So I decided to use a little bit over-looked colour  for the card base - Elegant Eggplant.

For the background of my focal image, I used three different techniques: watercolour splashes, salted watercolour, and doodled flower shapes.

To start, I taped a piece of Stampin' Up watercolour paper onto my craft sheet, then spritzed liberally with water. Using ink refills, and going from light to dark, I dropped random drops of Wisteria Wonder, Perfect Plum and Elegant Eggplant. It's so much fun to watch the ink spread!

Then I sprinkled salt onto the wet surface, using regular table salt and a coarser sea salt. It's important to let this dry thoroughly before doing anything else.

After it was totally dry, I used an ultra-fine tip black Sharpie and just outlined random petal-like shapes I could see in the way the ink had spread, trying to center them around the darker spots. I love doing  this technique!

The dragonfly image and sentiment are stamped with Whisper White Craft ink. As a final touch, although it doesn't show up well in the photo - I used Clear Wink of Stella on the body and wings of the dragonfly.

I then matted the image onto  a piece of Shimmery White cardstock. Here is a closer look:
Now go check out the fabulous samples from the rest of the Watercooler Artists at Watercooler Wednesday. You are sure to be inspired, and we want to see what you create! So link up to this 100th Watercooler Challenge.

4 comments:

  1. This is GORGEOUS! Thank you so much for sharing how you did the techniques.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joan! I love doing various watercolour effects. You never know what you will end up with.

      Delete
  2. This is such a beautiful piece of art work Gail. Love the techniques and your dragonfly stamp overlaying the floral images.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Penny! I love that stamp set. It has a lot of possibilities.

      Delete

WWC211 - Kath's Feminine Anything Goes Challenge

https://watercoolerchallenges.blogspot.com/ It's a feminine theme this week from Kath. A perfect opportunity to play with my new butte...