Sunday, July 19, 2015

WCC28 Buffy's Colour Challenge

Colour challenges are a great way to get out of your comfort zone. I love colour challenges for that reason and Buffy has picked a doozy! Just look at this combo:
You can see what the Watercooler Design Team has come up with by clicking here.

To give you an idea of how much out of my comfort zone these colours are, the first thing I like to do is get the stamp pads and cardstock together. These particular stamp pads all needed re-inking! I have probably used the Pool Party more recently than the others, but it is not a colour I reach for often.

And I like all these colours! I really do. But I always seem to gravitate to the Neutrals and Regals the most. So, after I decided that Melon Mambo would be the base for my card, as it is the strongest colour in the group, the next decision was the stamp set/sets.

I thought I would pick a stamp set that had enough images in it that I could use all - or most - of them in all of the colours. The set that filled the bill for me was Bohemian Borders. My first intention was that my card would be in portrait orientation and I would fill the entire Thick Whisper White panel with alternating patterns.

However, once I had done one each of each pattern and colour, I just happened to turn the cardstock sideways - landscape - and the lightbulb went on! I immediately thought of a sample I had just seen on Pinterest by a Stampin' Up! demonstrator in England. See her card here. And this is what I pictured:

The buttefly and the sentiment are from the Best Thoughts stamp set, which is available only with Stampin' Rewards which can be earned either by hosting a workshop or placing a qualifying order.

After stamping the sentiment in Melon Mambo, I stamped the butterfly with Memento Black ink onto a scrap of Thick Whisper White. To colour it, I used a method I had been wanting to try and that is to fill an Aqua Painter with alcohol instead of water. I used all the five colours from the challenge to colour the butterfly by squeezing a bit of ink into the lid of the stamp pad and picking it up with the Aqua Painter. The alcohol makes it dry really fast and makes the colour more vibrant than when colouring with water. I can see me doing this method a lot!

And there you have it. I challenge you to give it a try. You never know what you will come up with and I would love to see your creations!!

3 comments:

  1. I love this card, Gail! The borders are perfect, and the butterfly is just gorgeous. Thanks for playing along!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a pretty card, Gail. I just expect this combination to be soft & pretty, but bold & bright is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great card, Gail. The borders work perfectly beside that stunning butterfly. I've done the alcohol colouring and agree that the colours "pop" more than using water. Thanks so much for being part of our challenge.

    ReplyDelete

WWC211 - Kath's Feminine Anything Goes Challenge

https://watercoolerchallenges.blogspot.com/ It's a feminine theme this week from Kath. A perfect opportunity to play with my new butte...